Wednesday, January 9, 2013

This Guy

Today is a big day, it's Paul's birthday. Who is Paul you ask? Paul is the man I like/have to call my father. I'm sure many of you have had some sort of encounter with my dad and I'm sure it was memorable. In order to spotlight this great man I'm going to share a few of my favorite things about my dad.

One of the first things you need to know about my dad is that he loves all things equipment.
Trucks, tractors, trains, you name it, he's like a little boy just with much bigger toys.
My Dad has quite the reputation among the friends of his children. If you were to judge him off of his appearance alone you would probably somewhat scared. He likes to hold his face in this very stern expression and he uses it to his advantage to mess with people, he's mildly amused by scaring the boys/friends I bring around. 

For one of my birthdays in high school I decided to have a barbecue my dad was gracious and kind enough to man the grill for me. At one point in the evening he was announcing to some of the boys at the party that they weren't eating enough and to come up to the deck to grab more burgers. As he was walking up the stairs one of my friends attempted to introduce himself to my father, the exchange went like this (names have been changed to protect the stupid).

Brad: Hi! Are you Bethany's dad?
Dad: Yes. (in a very gruff and short voice)
Brad: I'm Brad Taylor, it's nice to meet you (extends hand to my dad)
Dad: (turns around gives Brad the once over) So? (continues walking up the stairs)

He did that purely to mess with the poor kid. But "Brad" hasn't been his only victim. While on a cruise this year someone asked my dad what he did for a living, to which he replied "I stir the s*&t." That is an exact quote, I kid you not. My dad loves to get reactions out of people and come off as an ornery cuss, but in reality he's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

My dad has helped countless people. He has helped people move, landscape their yards, help fix cars and other things like household appliances. He's one of the hardest workers I know. He worked for one company for 35 years, starting as a bottom of the ladder laborer all the way up to regional management. And after his retirement he choose to start his own equipment and excavating company. He's put in lots of hours and hard physical labor into his company and has been successful. And has been an excellent example to me and has definitely set a high bar for whoever intends to marry me.

My dad and nephew Sam watering the plants. This counts has hard work, right?


In addition to his amazing work ethic my dad is the best dad I could ask for. He's taught me the value of hard work but also how important it is to be able to laugh and make life fun. He has always been willing to help me with whatever I need, whether it's helping me build an elaborate grape smasher for an 8th grade science project or saving me when I'm stranded on the side of the road with a broke down car or helping to pay for my college education. I honestly can say that my dad is one of my greatest heroes even if he drives me crazy sometimes. I'm grateful that I was blessed to have him has my father and I couldn't be more thrilled to know that I will be able to call him my dad for eternity. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

My Dad and niece Alli, not only is he a wonderful father, he's an awesome grandpa too!

Big shout out to my sisters Tracey and Karen for having pictures of Paul on their blogs, I hope you don't mind me stealing them!

*Note: I promise my dad owns more than khaki Wranglers and Blue shirts... He just seems to wear them a lot*

No comments:

Post a Comment